Entry deadline extended to August 19
Enter now

Heathrow: Postponement of decision on airport expansion confirmed

By Dan Teuton
5 July 2016
Share

Patrick McLoughlin, the transport secretary, has confirmed that a decision on the siting of airport expansion in the South East has been postponed until “at least October”.

Last July, the Airport Commission recommended that Heathrow be expanded with a third runway at an estimated cost of £18.6 billion; but in December, the Government delayed the decision, saying further work on noise, pollution and compensation needed to be carried out.

Heathrow boss John Holland-Kaye said expansion "must be a key building block in the Government's Brexit plan"; and Frank De Douza of De Souza & Co said: "With Brexit a reality, the third Heathrow runway is needed now more than ever to boost the UK economy. The deferment of the decision causes greater uncertainty and directly affects local residents and local and international businesses.”

Theresa May who is now competing for the role of prime minister has previously not supported the Heathrow option.

Credit CoStar


Related topics